Thursday, October 11, 2012

oooh, yum! Apple Pie Bars!

Yesterday, I was given some apples.  Paula Red apple to be exact and they were yummy!  Crisp, sweet and juicy.  I have been craving a favorite fall recipe of mine for awhile now and finally I could make it! 

Apple Pie Bars!  They make a bar pan full, so feel free to share with friends, or eat a whole row yourself...oops! :)  Hey I was hungry, it was right before supper and... well um they tasted good, maybe too good because I'm thinking another row for breakfast would be pretty amazing!



just before the top crust is put on. Yummmm!


Here is the recipe I know you just can't wait to make these!
Apple Pie Bars
3 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 egg yolks with milk to make 1 cup. (save those egg whites for later in the recipe)

Mix all these ingredients into a ball and divide in half.  Roll our half in bottom of bar pan.

Peel/ Slice 6-8 apples (I always do at least 8)
add 1 cup sugar or more to taste (brown sugar is best!)
1/3 cup flour ( if you forget to add this like I did, oops, they still turn out delish, maybe a tad runny...haha! )
1-2 tsp cinnamon

Mix apples and sugar and cinnamon and then pour onto crust.
Dot with butter
Roll our second half of crust and put on top.  Pinch sides all around.  Brush top with egg whites that you've fluffed with a fork.  Poke holes in crust.
Bake at 425 for 10 minutes
then 375 for 20-30 minutes.

After it's done, mix some powdered sugar and milk until you get a somewhat thick consitency and drizzle over bars!

Then just try to resist waiting until they are somewhat cool so you don't burn your mouth.

These are so good and so worth making!
 
For some reason it won't let me make this picture bigger, but even this size  is making me hungry! I think it's time to go eat some more before my kids finish them off, they are that good!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment